Life has been hectic for most part of last month and defintely will continue to be so till the end of the year.....
There was India's "first ever" Spring Summer Fashion Week... courtesy Wills Lifestyle and Nokia... so lots of shows and parties... (seperate post...hopefully!)
Delhi's excuse to be pretentious and over the top has become bi-annual.
Next week I'm going to Goa for a friend's wedding... high time he got married! :)
After that ofcourse starts "festive season" madness which will run through Dusehra, Diwali, hopefully the Bombay fashion, the wedding season and ofcourse Christmas and New Year (hopefully in New York)....
...... from now till the end of the year there are multiple excuses to party....
But coming back to my original thought for this post... other than partying I have also been working very hard and travelling .. specifically to mini-metro/small town India. I've noticed these places are more open to ideas than "modern india", which the metros are a part of. Specifically, basic courtesy towards and treatment of women.
If you have lived in Delhi long enough you'll have become immune to lecherous looks, comments and general lascivious behaviour. Men treat women like objects...
In the smaller towns, people (men) look at you, like they'd look at anything else new to their environment... purely out of curiosity.
Metros (specfically Delhi) people (men) look AT you.. simultaneously objectifying & working out an exceptionally lewd disrespectful comment.
It is annoying at best.... at worst.....well.....
And I'm not commenting on all men... I'm commenting on a cross section of men from the same socio economic lower middle/lower class background, that do not differ in Metro India or small town India.
They have the same social, economic, educational and family structural backgrounds, they just moved from small town to big town. Yet they have such different attitudes when it comes to women.
Does moving to a bigger city make it ok to lose all basic respect for another person.?
Maybe it happens everywhere, just not at the same level so small town seems to be "better" than big town India.... but from personal experience/observation, Delhi (which I love and call home despite everything) highlights a lack of basic sense when it comes to these things compared to other cities and specially the smaller ones....
Disconnected post at best... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yup, totally agree.. Delhi men from the background you mentioned behave like totally frustrated sex-driven maniacs.. but I also noticed that this attitude is not restricted to 'that' class either... I have noticed that those who have not been brought up in an environment where there is free and healthy interaction between men and women also suffer from the same frustrated attitude. they also look at women as objects of lust, except that they dont say it so openly.. take any college in DU and u would find guys there also leching and , and they are not the worker class.. Bombay however is not like that...u can travel in second class men's compartment in the locals at odd hours and still not find anyone looking at you like u came from another planet!
I agree with you..
and the reason I picked this particular cross section is because it has the least number of exceptions to the rule unlike the upper middle or lower classes.
I've been classist...for something that defines a majority of the male population of this country, open and healthy interaction or not.
hmm, I was going to say it might be a reflection of the anonymity of city life, where you can get away with mostly anything, but if bombay is different then that doesn't work.
any idea why there is this difference between the two cities?
Post a Comment