Religion. Faith.
Does one feed the other or is one the foundation for the other?
What comes first, faith or religion? Can there be a seperation of one from the other - mutually exclusive concepts or are they always going to be intertwined?
There are multiple theories (religious as well as scientific) that extrapolate on these questions, but those are relatively detached and clinical since they are mostly scholastic nature. But what about the answers to these questions on a personal individual basis...
We each have "unique" experiences that help create individualistic filters and skew our view on life/situations; help us create our values, principles and beliefs.
How much of our faith/religion is affected by these filters?
How much of our filters are created by our faith/religion?
I have never adhered to A religion... I can't. I've been brought up in a home that follows two religions - catholic and jain. I was never asked to chose one over the other, instead I took part in all ceremonies/rites/rituals of both religions equally. I was allowed to choose which I wanted to understand and follow further. I chose neither, instead tried understanding the main ideas and beliefs nearly all the religions that there are today and deceided I didn't want to have one religion.
Faith was my answer. I chose to believe (and still do) that there is a higher power. Higher power that created us, the universe and everything we know today. Maybe there is purpose for our creation, maybe there is just no reason for our existence but there definitely is more than just us. No, even though the matrix is an interesting concept, that is something I really don't think is possible....
These are ideas and thoughts on an extremely personal subject (even if one has no inclination or stand on the matter). No offence intended. Just curiosity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
there is no purpose to life. It is humankind's arrogance -
"wait wait wait... I am here for NOTHING!!?? I HAVE NO PURPOSE!!??? - ITS NOT POSSIBLE!"
yeah - get used to it. When logic fails, belief, faith and hope are the thin threads upon which our baseless justification rest. You are lost if all you can do is wait for each of those threads to break, and you to fall.
I've found it fun, instead, to cut other people's threads :-)
Anahat - Darling... My sincerest apologies. Since you didn't bother to tell me that the number I have for you is your "work" number and there is another number - I'd say we are quits. :)
Aman - The post wasn't about the purpose of my/humanitys' existence. Rather it is a musing about the concepts of faith & religion. Nothing more.
Maya, I'm curious to speak with you more about your experiences growing up in a bi-cultural household. I am Catholic, my girlfriend is Jain and we have many discussions on the matter for our future (and potential children). You are the first person I have met that is from a Jain/Catholic household. How were your experiences growing up? I'm guessing who ever was Jain is a vegetarian and who ever is Catholic is not? Were you given the choice? Feel free to email me directly....nick.antinarella@gmail.com
Post a Comment