Saturday, August 05, 2006

Godly Fashion

I was watching the news day before... A Headlines Today Special on fashion.

Apparently, a certain Mr. Jasmine Shah from Ahmedabad has filed an FIR against Tantra T-Shirts (www.tantrauniverse.com) for defamation of a very powerful Hindu mantra.

The Issue:

The mantra is an extremely powerful mantra and by being put a Tshirt will be exposed to sacreligious activities such smoking, drinking and going to the bathroom which will diminish the power of the mantra. Also putting the T-shirt with the mantra on it for a wash, is blasphemous.

The Solution:

Ban clothing with religious icons/symbols/texts ..... Dharm ki dhajiya urti hain!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you kidding me??!!!!

I can't wear a tshirt with a Shivji/Ganeshji/Om/Mantra on it because some guy in Ahmedabad wants 15minutes of fame.... C'MON!!!

These tshirts have been around for years.... maybe not as tshirts but definetely as saffron kurtas with brown "om namh shivayah" and Om symbols on them.
Take a walk down Janpath..... every possible God, Goddess, reliogious motifs jumps out at you from every hole in the wall shop.

Everybody wears some sort of religious symbolism in whatever form appeals to them. Some tattoo an Om onto their forearm... others a God tattooed on their back... some wear God embossed coins around their neck.....some carry "chalisas" in their wallets..... others wear a bloody T-shirt.

"Defiling" a religious symbol through manipulation, innuendo or in general in-sensitive use by depiction on underwear, shoes and other profane items, etc is not acceptable - fine.

I will also buy into the logic that Mantras are mysterious things and their power diminishes with "over-exposure"... but to lobby for a generic ban on clothing sporting religious motifs.. like I already said - C'MOOHHN!!!

It isn't just about a banning clothing.... What all are you going to ban? Tattoos, ornaments, jewellery, calendars...??!!! Most of these things have been around for years if not centuries.

This isn't about any one religion or raise issues about sensitivity towards a particular religion... it is about what all will we accept as people who are, supposedly, free to practice whichever religion we chose, in any manner we see fit.

What if I choose to practice my religion by wearing it on my Tshirt.. and proudly at that.

As long as I know what I'm wearting & why I am wearing it, who is Mr. Jasmine Shah or the Hindu Dharam Raksha Sena to tell otherwise?

4 comments:

Cyberswami said...

his name can't be jasmine, surely! nobody will take him seriously.

Fyg said...

jasmine - aasman ka farak hai, yes.

Maya said...

His name IS Jasmine Shah

Maya said...

His name is comical enough... but his propaganda is even more laughable.